Thursday, March 20, 2008

Swim Swimmers Swim!

D-Day.  I slept late, made a full-on decaf cappuccino and walked up to the VEFC for my 11am appointment with the super sperm.
To remind you, this is my first ever IUI, so when the nurse brought in the vial, I admit my mouth dropped.  There was no more than 1/2 inch and it boggled the mind that there could be 13 million sperm in there.
When I remarked about this, my nurse told me a funny story.  She has a 9-year-old daughter who is quite informed about mom's line of work.  The daughter said, "with that many sperm, you would think at least one could find its' way to the egg."  
To which her mother replied, "Yes, you would think that, but men are stupid."
Ha!  I love my nurse!

I had a few word's with Seth's sperm.  Told them they were about to embark on a very important mission and while I knew some would get lost and other's would just spin in circles like eternal Sufi's and while all that whirling is great fun, all I needed was one to keep going and find the egg.  They had 24 hours.  Get to it.  Go!

I'm one of those people who likes to read sign into things--usually good signs.  So this is what my nurse and I came up with today:  Today is the 20th.  The vial was marked donated on the 20th (not March, but June) and is the first day of Spring!  Hello!  Fertility, New Birth and Life!  Being the semi pagan/Buddhist I am these are great signs, no?

It didn't hurt at all, slightly uncomfortable and then it was over.

K couldn't be there, which kind of sucked, but was mostly OK.  If she's out of town and the baby comes early and she's not there I'll be pissed, but right now it's all good.  After all, I can call here while waiting for the swimmers to swim.  Except she's in a meeting and isn't picking up.

Next on the list is one of my best friends in Texas who will answer the phone on the toilet so won't be weirded out by the fact that I'm calling her, hips held high, from the insemination table.  "Hey"  "Hey" "What are you doing?"  "Going to the bathroom"  "Oh, yeah.  I'm laying on a table at the doctor's telling the swimmers to swim" "What?"  "I just got inseminated" to which she replied the best reply EVER.
"Oh my god, that is so cool.  It's like we just had sex.  I'm going to remember this conversation for the rest of my life"
And then she got all over-protective girlfriend on me when I told her I had to go to the bathroom,  "don't push too hard" cuz she was scared the sperm would fall out.

My mom, who texts like a 13 year-old, sent me the cutest text message and is so excited for me. 
Out of all of the family member on both sides of our families, it is my mother--the born-again Southern Baptist from a red state--who has been the most supportive and accepting of what K and I are doing.  She doesn't care if it's K's eggs, my egg's  or what, she just thinks it's great that we're having a baby.  My mom has come a long way with acceptance over the last 20 years and I am so happy to be able to share all of my news along the way with her.

OK, if anyone out there has any fertility prayers to say or little dolls or amulets you'd care to rub, I'd greatly appreciate it.
 

4 comments:

R said...

Sending you lots and lots of babydust!!!

starrhillgirl said...

Go, boys, go!

Anonymous said...

A friend of ours gave us a fertility spell that she swore worked for everyone she knew, around about our third try. We didn't get pregnant until our sixth try, so I don't hold much stock in spells. Or prayers.

You best bet, and my best advice - be relaxed. Release as much of your stress as you can, and be calm and centred. Worked for us.

Good luck, hope you hit the jackpot first time lucky.

Anonymous said...

so...any news?!