Sunday, March 23, 2008

This is Burlesque Not Drinking



I have a couple of friends in from Kansas City, MO this weekend and we thought we'd take these midwest lesbians to a show they probably don't have back in KCMO.
If you haven't been to Murray Hill's "This is Burlesque" at Corio, you're in luck because they have extended the run and added a few late shows as well.
This is our 2nd time and we enjoyed it just as much--with the exception that "Viva Vi*gra" was missing from the line-up.
As our group of five made up the only lesbians in the house AND we'd scored a table right by the stage, Murray had a great time heckling us--all in good fun.  Tassles and Titties!  How could you not have fun?!

This was the first night of my entire life that I could not drink and it was hard.  Much harder than I thought it would be.  It's always been a choice of maybe I will or maybe I won't.  I'm not a big drinker to start off with as I'm such a lightweight. If I drink two glasses of wine, I'm totally buzzed and good for the night.  Mostly, I drink maybe twice a month.  
K doesn't drink at all, which makes it really easy and many of my friends either don't drink or are very light drinkers.  It hasn't always been this way and the tales that I could tell of the party days gone by.  And the photos, oh dear the photos of past crazy days!  Trust me, when my kids say "mom, you just don't understand," I'll have plenty of stories to tell and the photos to prove that oh, yes, I do!
But around three years ago, alcohol stopped liking me and it started being not fun.  I realized I could either keep partying like a rock star (fun while it lasted!) and suffer from a killer all-day debilitating hangover (not at all fun) OR could enjoy the occasional glass of wine and call it a night.  K decided about a year after that it wasn't working at all for her anymore, sobriety works and quit drinking altogether.

So, what I'm going to try to do from here on out is not drink at all.  I don't know if I can do it because I never knew how hard it was to go out and not have a drink or a glass of wine.  But it will be better for my body, period.  Wish me luck!

No comments: