Monday, June 16, 2008

67 Kids, 25 Minutes

K and I have been talking about how Manhattan (NYC in general) is on a baby boom. The economy has been great and more people than ever are deciding to forgo the suburbs and stay in the city once they have kids.
We live in a great area for children, surrounded by at least 8 kid-friendly parks, green spaces, riverside esplanade, bike trails, etc.
We love it here and can’t wait to have a baby and raise it in the city.
But it makes
not having a baby difficult when you are TTC. This morning, just for shits and giggles because I think the progesterone is seriously spinning me a mindf*uck, I decided to count how many kids I passed on my morning walk to work.
67 Kids under the age of five.
How depressing. I know I missed some because I passed three parks and it’s impossible to count all the kids.

By the time I give birth they’ll have raised our rent so high we won’t even be able to afford to live here. (There is no cap for apartments rented under market rate in NYC. Rent control ended in 1998 and now anything over $2,000 is fair game for rent hikes. We’ve experienced rent hikes as high as 22%. It’s insane. We know.)
To top it all off, my co-worker who is the same age as me, has a precious 14 month old and lives in the same apartments as I do under rent control (she grew up there).

So yeah, she has the baby and pays probably a ¼ of my rent.

Life is unfair sometimes, but at least I look 10 years younger than her.  I know that sounds terribly vain and I really don't care.

Did I mention I hate progesterone?  I think K might have been secretly happy to get on the plane this morning and not have to deal with my moodiness again until Friday!  Sorry baby, I know I'm a handful!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I hear the drugs talking. You are clearly a planner, and I know it's killing you that getting pregnant isn't going according to plan, but that doesn't mean that it won't be the perfect situation when it happens. You just need to hang in there and ride out the progesterone!

j.k-c. said...

I hope that you can stay where you are...sounds like the ideal place for you guys to raise your family.

Anonymous said...

It's incredible just how hard it is to see babies and children, not to mention pregnant women, when TTC. Their very existence sometimes seems like a personal slap in the face.

And I didn't even have the progresterone to amplify it!

I've never been to NYC but your blog makes me want to visit there...

Lizzie said...

A baby and rent-control? I'm not sure that it's the progesterone talking. That is total bullshit, medicated or not.

C&H said...

I'm with Lizzie...total bullshit! They kill you with rent hikes, yet it's too pricy to buy. C and I will sometimes watch those Real Estate shows on TV...we just about die when we see what you can get for $200K. $200K around here wouldn't buy you a cardboard box...I'm sure it is worse in New York. Still...it sounds like you live in a wonderful place. :)

Pufferfish said...

Well, NYC is deceptive. It's a great neighborhood, but the first time I came to see the place I said out loud, " THOSE? I thought those were the projects!"
So many ugly buildings in this city!
And yes, there's no way we could buy anything right now.
Average Manhattan 1-bedroom apt this year topped one million. WTF??
Stupid Investment Bankers.