Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I'm Back....

I've been back for a week actually. There's a lot going on.
My feet don't like shoes and the bed seems too small after sleeping in Kings and Queens for weeks (yes, we have a double here in the PufferHouse).

Getting over the jet lag has been hell, but I can't complain because I got on that plane willingly! It was the 10 hour layover in Tokyo that really screwed us up.
Me: Can you double check what time our flight leaves tomorrow night before I get a taxi? I think it's a midnight.
K: WTF? We have a 10 hour and 10 minute layover in Tokyo?
Me: No, that's an hour and 10 minutes.
K: No, you missed a ZERO.
Me: That sucks. But I emailed that to you! You signed off on that! (like we're business partners or something) You agreed!

Now, what probably happened is that we both saw the 10 hours way back in June and agreed to it as the next ticket was about $400-$500 more. But the brain has a funny way of forgetting painful things...and I made that 10 into a 1.
Also worth forgetting: Jet Lag. Seriously, if I remembered how bad it sucked recovering from a 12 hour time difference, I'd never go to Asia again. It's a good thing we have a year in between trips so we've conveniently forgotten just how bad coming home is.

So, last week was all about catching up on home, the cats, work, personal life, running errands and trying to stay awake--which I failed to do quite spectacularly.

Three mornings I was wide awake at 3am--wide awake and starving. There's no food in the house and I defrosted raspberry/yogurt "Emergency Cake" from the freezer (the cake you freeze when you don't finish it all but know it could come in handy later?) and ate it with my hands while drinking milk straight from the carton. I wanted McD's breakfast. Too weird as I haven't been to a McD's in Years. But as soon as I got out the house with the light of dawn, I went there and happily munched down on a bacon/egg/cheese biscuit with one of those horrible-for-you-but-tastes-so-good hash browns. I wondered that night if this is what it felt like to be in the first trimester...

Finally, I was waking at 4am, then 5 am and finally I'm pretty solid at 6am these days. I can do 6am. I'd rather do 6:30 or....7. But it's a big improvement from 3am when I thought I might DIE.

I came home to dreary, cool weather; the news that my troubled brother who was living in Galveston not only fell 20 feet (after surviving the hurricane) and badly injured himself but is now also homeless and the world's economy is in the worst crisis since the great depression.
Fabulous.

I'd rather be here right now:


Or here:
Vacation photos are being edited...I'll send out a link when I'm finished if anyone is interested.
It was Fab.

11 comments:

nutella said...

Welcome back! Those pictures are making me ache for a vacation. I've never had jet lag as bad as that, but even the lag I had has been yucky.

mulberry said...

welcome back! sorry your brother is in such a bad way... these are scary times.

sounds like your vacation was a huge success. i am so glad.

giggleblue said...

i'm happy you had an awesome time! it sounds like it was fab.

sorry about the travel lag and welcome back!

GIsen said...

Ahhhh....I wish I were there too! Looks like it was lots of slow fun:)

Heidi said...

Welcome back!! Those pictures are to die for!!!

tbean said...

welcome back! can't wait for more pics

Anonymous said...

Welcome home - sorry it's in such a mess for your return. Those pictures are so lovely, I can't wait to see the rest.

Anonymous said...

Yes! Links please... Oh, I'd much rather be *there* than here too. Welcome back!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back. I love the pictures. I can't wait to see more. I am happy to hear you have adjusted better to the time difference. xo L.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you that you made it on this trip. It looks amazing! I have added it to my trip list.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, the holiday sounds awesome - I don't envy you trying to reassimlate to normal life!

Beautiful blue water - can't wait to see more pics :)