Monday, December 1, 2008

O Christmas Tree, No Christmas Tree

I don’t think we’ll put up a tree this year. If we were going to do it, we should’ve done it this past weekend and it just wasn’t a priority.
Usually, we have a big holiday party and the tree is up and all of the decorations. Everyone ooohs and aaahs and we like that.
Since Thanksgiving came late this year I feel we’re in a time crunch. Every weekend we looked to do a party (there are only 2 for us), we were already booked to go to someone else’s party.

I can’t do the tree and everything all by myself especially since all of the decorations are on the top shelf and I need an assistant. That assistant was home for 10 days, but is now back in the hinterlands of the Midwest, bravely working amongst the Republican right-wingers of Kansas.

Follow me here…I f I wait for her to come home so we can do it together that means we will only have 2 weeks to enjoy the décor before leaving to go upstate for the holiday week. PLUS—K is going to Vegas for work the week of the 15th.
It just seems like a lot of work for too short of time.
There’s no bah humbug here, I feel quite festive about the season. I just think we should save our time and money and enjoy other people’s decorations this year.

Is that a crazy thought?

7 comments:

mulberry said...

get a wreath or two, hang in living room or where ever... it will bring the delicious smell into the house and you can put a couple of your favorite ornaments on it/them. this is what i am seriously considering since the psycho destructo kittens are living with us this year... i have no faith at all that they will not take down, in a swift swipe of the paw, any tree we try to put up. enjoy your travels!

Heidi said...

I am no help...we are getting a tree, and a real one at that, we've always had fakes...
and I can't find my festivity

evangeline said...

i've done that every year for many years - just can't justify doing the tree bc i am never here to enjoy it. however, this year is the first one in about 10 years that i'm actually getting a tree.

Jen said...

I have to admit, this is the first year we are not putting up our "big" tree. We have a baby tree that T put up on Sunday when I was at work, and that will probably be about it. 2008 has just been so busy and filled with so many emotions, I seem not to be in the mood this season. I don't think it is crazy to not go-all-out, esp. when christmas will be here and gone before we know it.

Anonymous said...

We went through the same debate this year and decided to get a tree. We haven't decorated it yet but it's nice to see and smell. I like mulberry's wreath idea - you get a hint of tree goodness without the whole deal.

Anonymous said...

The only trees we have ever had have been tiny little rosemary "trees" that were pruned to look Christmas tree-esque, and this was just a couple of times. Typically, we are so busy grading this time of year that we don't really have time to enjoy a tree--so I completly get this. This year, we're having our first grown-up tree ever, so we'll enjoy it for you. :-)

K said...

We just had this talk in our house and decided not to do a tree this year. I'm still feeling a little unsettled with the decision myself but it truly makes the most sense. We're headed out of town for Christmas and I honestly don't know when we'd have a chance to get the darn thing up, let alone enjoy it for five minutes. So no, I don't think you're crazy (or bah humbug-ish) but I'm also not exactly unbiased! ;-)