Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Rock Star Cervix

OK, so it wasn't quite that great, but I did manage to crack up my Doctor's when I christened my lady part a "rock star cervix" upon hearing it went from a 2.7 to a 3.17!
They are happy, I am happy. I am nowhere near a danger zone and that is mighty good. Normal. I like normal.

Since I'm almost 30 weeks there will be no more cervical checks as they don't have conclusive evidence past this point that they are predictive of anything. They didn't put me on any restrictions other than "listen to your body".
It's a bit vague, but I get that everyone is different and there's really not a strict set of rules about these things. I plan to rest up alot (yeah, walking so much probably was not such a great idea even if it made me feel like a bad-ass pregnant woman) and keep the activity in check.

However, the Doc agreed that my feelings of fatigue this past week may have been because I overdid it in the other direction. I don't have to lock myself in the house and put myself on modified bed rest--I just need to dial it down and if I'm feeling pain while doing anything--STOP.
So that's where we are and I am feeling much, much better about things now.

In other exciting news, we also got to do a growth scan on the babies and they are looking great! Chicklet is 3 lbs, 4 oz. and Shadow Boxer is 3 lbs, 1 ounce. While I certainly want them to stay put, it's amazing to know they weigh enough now to completely survive if I were to deliver early. We also got to see them do their practice breathing which was so cool! Stay inside kids! We can do it!
I can't call them bat babies anymore, because they have both totally flipped and are now head to head ALL on my right side (a bit ouchy). Chicklet is completely breech and SB is laying somewhat sideways. I never know what position they are going to be in next. Always a surprise.

As far as the Carpal Tunnel, Doc is not so convinced that's what it is because I don't have the classic sore wrists and tingling sensations. While my wrists are somewhat swollen when I wake up, the thing that hurts most are my finger and joints surrounding them. Regardless, we agreed that giving the wrist splints a go at night couldn't hurt anything and I'm calling my acupuncturist tomorrow. Thanks alot for all of your helpful suggestions.

Chicken insisted that I get a maternity massage after my appointment today, so I spoiled myself silly at the Eda.mame Spa. I just love the name! They have the wonderful cutout for your stomach and it was so glorious after all of these months to lay on my stomach! I could breathe! It was heavenly. So much so that I fell asleep a number of times and woke myself up grunting/snorking. So embarrassing! I never make a sound when I fall asleep at home, only at the spa! These spas are a part of Destinatio.n Maternity/Pe.a in a Po.d so if you have one near you and are looking for a great massage--go for the Mom-to-Be. My therapist was late, so she gave me 15 minutes free on top of the 50 minutes AND gave me samples and a $20 coupon when I was through.

All in all, a very good day. Thanks for all of your well wishes and comments for good luck. My cervix heard them and obeyed!

11 comments:

tireegal68 said...

I was wondering if they had a pregnancy massage table tonight as I was getting a rare massage and my big progesterone boobies were smushed on the table! Everything sounds very promising! I don't know about the practice breathing thing - that sounds interesting! Your babies are going great! Keep on with the moderation and I hope you get some relief for your hands!

cindyhoo2 said...

Oh such good news!!

I had a new thought for the wrists thing: I have a tiny pillow I sleep with that helps my hand not go to sleep when I lie on my side (the odd result of a neck injury some years ago). I lay on my side and lay the top arm on the extra little pillow--- it helps!

J and DZ said...

I have pregnancy induced carpul tunnel and my wrist splint is amazing. It would be entirely worth it to pick one up as it may help you too. Also, I do not have the tingling sensation I've heard people talk about but I do have extremely sore cracking joints. No fun at all!!!

MoDLin said...

I've been reading for a while and just wanted to say that I'm really happy that things are going so well. You're smart to know the signs of preterm labor and to cut back on the walking (swimming is awsome!), but it looks like your tucked up cervix will keep those kiddos brewing for many weeks to come. Great!!!

Caitlin Weaver said...

You are a rock star in so many ways that it doesn't surprise me at all that your cervix is, too. :)

Schroedinger said...

Hooray! What a relief. I can't believe they are so big already!

Anonymous said...

Way to go! And a big sigh of relief as well.

Anonymous said...

Way to go cervix!!! Boo ouchy hands!

The rub sounds divine and I couldn't help but laugh at you waking yourself up grunting and snoring! Too funny. Sounds like the babes are doing great too. I'm so proud of you all. Your doing a great job!

Carrie said...

yay for babies measuring great!! and your rock star cervix!

tbean said...

Phew! Come on 37 weeks! (I'm aiming high. :)

Gayby Rabies said...

Go cervix! Now all we need to do is get your wrists to listen to us.