Sunday, March 7, 2010

Firsts

Our good friends and their two kids came over today to help us out. This is my friend who offered to do the assessment for PPD. I'm happy to say she found me non-crazy, just normal new parent, sleep-deprived crazy. Whew.
These friends are so fabulous they drove in from New Jersey with their 6 year old and 15 month old to watch our twins. The were willing to take on all four!
They insisted we go do something--even if that something was go take a nap--and they would handle things. Chicken and I needed this break so badly, thank you!!

We went to get a massage! It was the first time I've been back to my favorite Chinese massage den in over nine months. The ladies who work there were so cute because they had always wondered where I disappeared to and I got to tell them I'd had twins. The massage was great as always and the ladies insisted I bring the boys by so they can see them. So cute.
I didn't know how I would feel about leaving the boys with someone else after only 6.5 weeks, but surprisingly I felt very calm. My friends are awesome and I know how capable they are, my boys were in good hands and I was able to relax and enjoy myself.

Tonight, after sleeping on the couch for almost 2 weeks, I'm coming back to the bedroom. I'm done being sick and Chicken and I are going to try out a new sleep shift tonight. I have to admit, I've been pretty lucky to have someone willing to let me sleep through 2 feedings (she's been giving them breast milk bottles) while she takes the entire night shift.
But it's starting to really catch up with Chicken, she can't keep up this pace forever and as much as I'm going to miss that long stretch of uninterrupted sleep--it's time for me to step back up now that I can.
We'll see how this new schedule goes and I'll let you know...

6 comments:

tireegal68 said...

I'm so glad that your friends made you go out and took such good care of your little boys!
Sounds like you are beginning to feel a little more human. Good luck with the new sleep regime:)

Anonymous said...

Hoping the new plan works!

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness you don't have PPD. I watched a scary show about it the other night and it's one of my worst fears. Being aware of the warning sings like you are is great.

Your friend sounds like a real gift. I know it must have been amazing to have a few hours to yourself and just the refresher you needed to be able to get back to the business of parenting two babies.

Glad your kitty is doing better and that you are on the mend. Things are looking up fo sho!

cindyhoo2 said...

Ahhhh, it sounds like your pals gave you a well-deserved break and I am glad you could enjoy it as the tiny little vacation it was. Rested mommies = healthy, happy mommies.

Also yay for no PPD!!

Next in Line said...

I am so happy that you are a sleep deprived new parent and don't have PPD. I kind of thought so, but all the warnings about PPD are scary. I thought for sure that I was getting it when Ziya was in the hospital for the second time. It turns out I was just a sleep deprived stressed out mama.

Yay for the friends that came to help.

Gayby Rabies said...

How wonderful that you have such helpful friends. Good luck with the new sleep schedule, I hope you're both able to get a little bit of rest. I can not believe how big the babies are getting. I was looking back through your old posts to find the one with all of the twin discount info and saw the pictures of them in the hospital. They've changed so much already!