Sunday, November 13, 2011

Uh Oh

I missed blogging 2 days.  No prizes for me.
This afternoon I left the house for the first time since Friday morning.
Puffer got a little sick.  Not fever-puking-haggard sick.  Just achey, yucky, tired, stuffy, snotty sick.
I knew that if I could just Rest, that my body could *probably* fight it off.


It probably didn't help that I took the twins to the Zoo Friday morning and totally exhausted myself.
But I'd promised them and it was a gorgeous (if a bit nippy) fall day and I couldn't really deal with hearing "Ba Ba?" all day long. Even after we fed the sheep and looked at the pony, I heard "Ba Ba?  Nay Nay?" through the rest of the zoo.  Whoop Whoop loves his sheep and horses.
What I didn't know was that Grunter knows how to say "Baboon!" and knows that it is a type of monkey.
That is so cool.


They call the wallabies "Abby" and animals sound a lot like "Elmo".
Now, my kids have watched Sesame Street exactly 3 times, but we were gifted two SS books (an ABC and a counting one) and yeah, the kids love them.  It doesn't matter that they've barely ever glimpsed Elmo on the screen--that one look was all it took.  There is something about Elmo.  What IS it?
So, all night Friday the boys are saying "Elmo Elmo" and I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out where they have seen Elmo that day.
It doesn't hit me until the next day (when they are still saying it) that I realize they are saying "Animal".
Ah Ha.


Saturday, for the first time in almost 22 months, Chicken took the boys by herself for (almost) the entire day.  I stayed in bed.  Sweet, sweet rest.  Now, it would've been much better had I been in a private bedroom with the door closed rather than smack in the middle of the living room, but the boys were outside a majority of the day and short of curling up in their crib--that's as good as it gets around here.
(I actually did think of putting one of their crib mattresses on the floor and sleeping in there...)
I was quite sad when the boys left in the afternoon and questioned "Mommy?" and heard Chicken say, "No, Mommy doesn't feel good, she's staying here" and then hearing Grunter's sweet little voice say "Mommy.  Night Night."


I woke up today feeling better, but not good.  Chicken's brother was in town for the weekend (formerly of Paris now in London) and he came over and they all played outside while I slept some more.  Only I didn't sleep.  Restless from so much REST, I got up and made banana muffins and a quiche.
Finally this afternoon I was able to summon enough energy to take the kids to the park.  I missed them!
Hopefully tomorrow I'll be back to new which is great since I'm going to have a long day ahead of me either way.  Thankfully the weather here is still holding steady at beautiful fall weather so we can go out and about.


I'm working on compiling all of the idea I got from the comments sections.  Wow!  There were some really great ideas and already I've started tweaking our mornings and have had great success!
Also....we're reconsidering on the play kitchen.  I think that having the boys paint/draw at the kitchen table (it's a vintage/retro diner type with a formica top that wipes clean) and using the extra space for a kitchen instead of an art table might be a better use of space.


Next up!  I'm going to try to tap into my crafty side and make some felt animals.....that can't be too hard, right?  And I'm looking for the best reusable sandwich bags as I'm trying to ditch most of our plastic/ziplocs, etc.


Hope you all had a great weekend.

2 comments:

K J and the kids said...

Sorry that you guys got sick...but glad that you were able to rest.

Anonymous said...

I wish I knew what it was about Elmo. N is now back to requesting Sesame Street, but didn't for a long, long (long) time, and previous to that, didn't care about the red hideous monster. Yet somewhere in those months where she WASN'T EVEN WATCHING THE SHOW, she became OBSESSED with Elmo. It's madness.